The Salvation Army will commemorate the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks with a variety of events and programs in New York City, Washington, DC and across the country.
- In partnership with the Mental Health Association of New York City, The Salvation Army will host a family support center for members of the 9/11 community on the morning of the anniversary. The center will feature live streaming of the national memorial service in a press-free environment. More information is available here.
- Additional programs at the Centennial Memorial Temple in New York City will be open to the public and feature The Salvation Army New York Staff Band and guest speakers including Dr. Charles Stanley. More information is available here and here.
- In Washington, DC, The Salvation Army will host a Disaster Response Volunteer Training on September 10 in Fairfax , VA. Additionally, the Army will participate in the Mayor’s “Tribute to Service – Honoring the Victims, Survivors, and Heroes of 9/11” on September 11 at Freedom Plaza .
- The Army will host a variety of other events and activities around the country to help honor and memorialize the survivors and victims of the 9/11 attacks
Other ceremonies and events The Salvation Army is hosting or participating in on September 11 include:
- Albert Lea, MN: The Salvation Army will participate in events throughout the day, including a 9/11 remembrance ceremony at the Moose Lodge by the Legion Color Guard at 5:30pm CST.
- Anchorage, AK: The Anchorage Salvation Army Corps is planning a service of remembrance for September 11 at 6:00 pm AKDT.
- Denver, CO: Salvation Army EDS volunteers are marching in the 9/11 Remembrance Parade in Denver with the local FEMA partners, Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper and Mayor Michael B. Hancock.
- Grand Rapids, MI: The Salvation Army will host a daylong remembrance in partnership with the Boy Scouts and other local, state and national organizations for a series of family events at the Gerald R. Ford museum and the Cathedral of Saint Andrew.
- Kake, AK: The Salvation Army is holding a memorial at The Salvation Army Corps Community Center on 9/11.
- Kenai, AK: The Kenai ministerial alliance is coordinating a moment of remembrance for all the churches at 11:10 am AKDT. The Salvation Army Corps Community Center in Kenai will show 9/11 videos before and after the moment of silence.
- Los Angeles, CA: The Salvation Army is conducting a 9/11 Remembrance Service at the Corps in the afternoon and will feature Salvation Army officer who responded to the disaster. The Salvation Army is also hosting a Ceremony of Remembrance & Appreciation at Rose Hills Memorial Park, Whittier, at 7pm PST.
- Milwaukee, WI: The Salvation Army will be working with the Volunteer Center & 911day.org to list its Day of Service project in recognition of 9/11 and ask the public to volunteer.
- Minneapolis, MN: The Salvation Army will participate in the “Mass of Thanksgiving & Remembrance” at the Cathedral of Saint Paul starting at 4:30 pm CST, with a civic commemoration and Memorial Mass at 5:00 pm CST.
- Oakland, CA: The Oakland Garden Center Corps is holding a prayer meeting in the morning.
- Pueblo, CO: The Salvation Army is joining with Sam’s Club for a Community Festival on September 10th to honor Military/First Responders.
- Rochester, MN: Ardell Brede, the mayor of Rochester will honor The Salvation Army with a special award for their services at 12pm CST.
- Sacramento, CA: The Army is partnering with The Fish (Christian Radio) and Fox 40 (Fox affiliate) for a shoe drive benefitting clients of the Army’s rehabilitation centers. The Salvation Army is also participating in the afternoon ceremony “Decade of Remembrance” at the state capitol.
- Salt Lake City, UT: The Salvation Army is hosting an appreciation event for neighborhood firefighters and police officers; and is also holding a special 9/11 church service on Sunday.
- Santa Rosa, CA: The Santa Rosa Corps is having a Food Drive and Root Beer Float Social at the Oakmont retirement from noon to 3pm PST on 9/11. The Army will also work with local churches on a one-day food drive that day.
- San Francisco, CA: The Salvation Army will participate in a morning prayer at Crissy Field in Golden Gate National Recreation Area, hosted by the San Francisco Interfaith Council at 5:47am PST.
The Army will also participate in a September 11 remembrance at Golden Gate Park (hosted by the San Francisco Interfaith Council and the San Francisco Opera) at 1:30pm, with a procession of clergy and first responders, and then an invocation. The Opera will perform Mozart’s Requiem, with read prayers/ passages between each piece.
Hands On Network 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance: As part of the Day of National Service, The Salvation Army’s San Francisco Harbor House will host a group of volunteers who will provide basic infrastructure repairs to the facility (sanding, painting, playground repair, etc).
- Wichita Falls, TX: The Salvation Army is dedicating its morning Holiness Meeting in honor of those who lost their loved ones. The service will include a candle lighting service and prayer.
- Wrangell, AK: The Salvation Army Corps will host a special prayer service on 9/11.