Milwaukee – John W. Daniels Jr., chairman emeritus of the national law firm Quarles & Brady, was unanimously elected by the Aurora Health Care board of directors as its chair at the organization’s annual meeting, Oct. 23. Daniels has been a board member since 2008.
“As we know, health care is in the midst of rapid and fundamental change,” said Aurora CEO Nick Turkal, MD.
“Our organization will be well served by John’s depth of experience, strong business acumen, his understanding of the complexity of health care and his connection to our communities.” Daniels said, “I look forward to working with fellow board members and Aurora leaders and stakeholders to advance the organization’s purpose and its commitment to serving patients and communities.
Aurora’s value proposition of high-quality, affordable, patient-centered care is a differentiator for the system and at the core of its brand promise.
It will continue to serve Aurora well during these times of change in the sector.”
As chairman of the national law firm Quarles & Brady, Daniels, who is a graduate of Harvard Law School, advanced value as the firm’s cornerstone.
During his tenure at the helm he led Quarles through a fundamental transformation, shifting from the traditional operational model for law firms to a modern client-centric, business-minded model.
Daniels led this cultural shift in the midst of a challenging economy, leading to significant growth while much of the legal industry declined.
Daniels has been well recognized for his leadership in the business, civic and legal communities, including being selected as National Entrepreneur of the Year in 2013.
He has been recognized for his national leadership in law by receiving the Spirit of Excellence designation from the American Bar Association, and the National Bar Association’s Legacy Award.
The National Law Journal named him one of the “50 Most Influential Diverse Attorneys in America,” and The Business Journal of Milwaukee listed him in its “Power Book.”
Most recently, Daniels was named 2013 “Managing Partner of the Year” by a group of managing partners in U.S. law firms.
In addition to Daniels, Aurora’s board members include:
• John Anderson, MD, FACS, health care consultant
• Joanne Bauer, president, Kimberly-Clark Health Care
• Thomas M. Bolger, CEO, Johnson Financial Group and Johnson Bank
• Joanne Disch, PhD, RN, FAAN, clinical professor and director, Densford International Center for Nursing Leadership, University of Minnesota School of Nursing
• Nan Gardetto, CEO, Baptista’s Bakery
• Charles Harvey, chief diversity officer, Johnson Controls
• Daniel Minahan, president and COO, Continental Properties Co. Inc.
• Tim Sullivan, CEO, Gardner Denver and former CEO, Bucyrus International
• Nick Turkal, MD, president and CEO, Aurora Health Care
• Richard Weiss, retired partner, Foley & Lardner
• Chris White, managing director of safety, Air Wisconsin Airlines Corp.
Aurora Health Care is a not-for-profit Wisconsin health care provider and a national leader in efforts to improve health care quality. Aurora offers services at sites in more than 90 communities throughout eastern Wisconsin and northern Illinois.