Reclaiming neighborhoods by creating art
MPT, in collaboration with Harambee residents/artists Annushka Peck and Julia Swanson, will lead all ages in community-building projects ranging from hands-on workshops, to performances, to full-blown parades.
Details on MPT’s Reclamation Parade and Pageant are available by calling 414-347-1685 or visiting http://www.milwaukeepublictheatre.org/parades–celebrational-events.html
May 31 – August 30
MPT’s artery project: Reclamation Parade and Pageant
Community Brainstorming: Putting Flesh on the Bones; Bringing the Parade to Life
• Monday, June 9, 5 – 7 pm, at Riverwest Public House, 815 E. Locust Street
• Monday, June 23, 1:15 – 3:45 pm, Holton Youth and Family Center, 510 E. Burleigh Street
Parade, Puppets and/or Mask Making Workshops
• Mondays & Wednesdays, 1:15 – 3:45 pm, June 23 – August 13 Holton Youth and Family Center, 510 E. Burleigh Street
• Selected Saturdays, 10 am – 2 pm, June 14 – 28; July 12, 19; August 2 – 23 MPT/MMPT Grand Avenue/ Plankinton Building, 161 W. Wisconsin Avenue
Led by Annushka Peck and Julia Swanson
Yoga and Creative Mindfulness Sessions
• Wednesdays, July 2 – August 13, 10:30 – noon Holton Youth and Family Center, 510 E. Burleigh Street Led by MPT Artist Katharina Hren
Saturday, August 30 11:30 a.m.
Reclamation Parade and Pageant
The story of Riverwest/ Harambee will be explored with a Parade and Pageant performed on the Beerline Trail, starting at the Richards Street access and going north to Capitol Drive.
“the artery” projects are supported by Creational Trails project, funded by ArtPlace America.
MPT received additional funding for the Reclamation Parade from the City of Milwaukee/NIDC. Milwaukee Public Theatre receives ongoing support from UPAF, Milwaukee County CAMPAC, and the City of Milwaukee Arts Board and the Wisconsin Arts Board with funds from the State of Wisconsin and the National Endowment for the Arts.
In addition, dozens of arts residencies and other free programs will be offered this summer, capped by Milwaukee Public Theatre’s 40th Anniversary celebration in September.
More information is available at www.milwaukeepublictheatre.org.